I would like to share a few tips about content marketing and tell you how to write an expert article. I often hear wishes from clients to receive not only information or selling an article, but also an expert text.
According to SEO-specialists, such content falls into the top of search engines. This “whim” depends not so much on the desire of customers, but on modern requirements for website optimization.
Texts filled with keys, written without a competent, meaningful presentation of material, created by amateurs in the sphere, will never be “liked ” by Google or any other search engine. Therefore, it is better to initially focus on filling your own site with expert articles.
What kind of ideal article should I write? The main criteria are useful, informative, relevant, and “shelved” material.
The text created by the expert in the sphere is appreciated and ranked best. Even “boring” topics should have a soul, and the reader should feel that the article is written well, by a person who understands the essence of the matter.
In addition, after writing and posting your article, it is necessary to use Google Analytics to determine whether your text is popular and in demand on the Internet. Without this, it is impossible to understand whether the article helps promote the site or all the efforts were in vain.
Let’s try to figure out how to write expert texts together and learn:
- The need to communicate with experts;
- The benefits of studying a target audience;
- The top search results sources;
- The best way to submit an article;
- Use of comments.
Let’s move on to practice.
Step 1. How to write an article: communication with experts
To write a quality expert article on a topic that you actually “float” in, is not an easy task. What are the solutions? Whether to communicate with a client virtually, live, or by phone is up to you. Often it’s customers who can reveal unique features, advantages of goods or services that they offer.
For example, in terms of a furniture company, all the necessary information about production, fabrics, models, and terms has to be presented in a brief filled faithfully and in detail by the customer. Do not forget to make a list of questions that you want to clarify to write an expert article when communicating with the customer.
What to do if the website’s owner is simply busy and has no time for questions or filling in the brief? Move on to plan “B”.
Writing a post on Facebook
What can be easier than asking for the opinion of people who have already used the product/service that you have yet to study and describe? You can create a quiz or just ask people to share their opinion.
It doesn’t have to be your friends only but other Facebook users as well. In this case, they may act as experts who will help make your article really useful, interesting, filled with unique content.
The drawback is that it takes time for users to respond and leave their comments under your post. What to do if your time is limited? Let’s move on to the next method.
There are enough sites on the Internet aimed at collecting user recommendations and reviews. Often it is here that you can find not the “polished” and enthusiastic characteristics of the manufacturers but specific pros and cons and the nuances of using the product.
For example, it can be a site focused on selling various electronic devices: tablets, smartphones, e-vehicles, PCs, laptops, and accessories.
You can be asked to make a description of Xiaomi Redmi Note 5A smartphone. And to fill in the Features section can be very easy with the help of useful customer feedback.
Another way to write a quality article is to use video YouTube reviews or information from other sites focused on gadget reviews (no copypasting, of course).
Step 2. Studying the target audience
It is very important to write articles not just for people, but for a specific group that will be interested in the information, product, or service that you promote. To know your reader’s “face”, means to define special sources (e.g. social networks, forums, feeds, etc.) where you can ask for tips on your article.
- First, find out your аge group. The style of writing will depend on that – the older generation (50+) finds it difficult to “digest” new words like “gadget”, “flame”, “device”, “IoT”, etc. It is better to use clear terms like “equipment”, “computer” and so on.
- Sex. It is logical that if you want to write an article about dresses, lipsticks, the main consumer is a female audience. While the topic of milling cutters, furniture assembly is more interesting to men. There are also universal topics like household appliances, books, traveling, etc.
- Profession. Teachers, installers, administrators are most often looking for absolutely different things, not relating to their activities. It is important to use special words and expressions that are habitual for the humanitarian’s or technician’s ear.
- Pet peeves. A user is interested not only in reading an article for overall development but also in finding answers to his/her questions, e.g. a webmaster may find the article called “How to preload key requests?” quite interesting.
- Hobbies. It will be useful to learn about hobbies of future clients in advance, before writing an article for a site. For example, if it’s a book-site, and it has a section, e.g. called “Classical and foreign prose” the circle of readers of such literature depends on the genre of the book – “Tales” are for kids of school/preschool age, “Detectives” are for adults, “Adventures” are interesting regardless of age, etc.
The above 5 components will help to define the content of the article, make it truly expert.
Step 3. Getting to the top search results sources
Our competitors are some kind of “assistants” in the business. Of course, the basis for writing expert articles is not about re-writing the information found but in its analysis. How can sources from the top help: learn expert opinions from articles; determine possible “info gaps” for yourself; see the structure base of the text; build an approximate plan for your future article; pay attention to the design of the text.
To reach the Top, you need to: filter out useful information in the top sources, find out about this product set of unique features, benefits, properly process the article. The last point is described in more detail in the next section.
Step 4. Illustrations
This is clear proof that an author is an expert in the subject and can not only express his/her thoughts competently but also visualize them. Various design tools may help enhance the perception of the material:
- Tables. Visual presentation of characteristics, appearance, features of goods/services in the form of tables is better perceived by users and highly appreciated by search engines. Using simple Word/Excel for this really easy and the benefits are huge.
- Images. One of the main rules for choosing images for an article after it’s finished – the uniqueness of the images. Stock images have long lost relevance, they do not bring “zest” in the expert material. Create collages, change image shades, add logos and inscriptions.
- Video. A useful clip can become a real “decoration” of an article. If you have such an opportunity, shoot the video on your own, if you don’t, YouTube has a lot of expert reviews on any topic.
Based on my personal experience, I can say that compliance with all the above-mentioned steps is the “key” to writing expert materials. Don’t believe me? I will share an example with you.
The task was to write a text (8000 characters) about infrared panels. Honestly, this topic is definitely not “my cup of tea”, and it took me a whole day to even understand it.
I had troubles with: correctly specifying the distinguishing features of, at first glance, the same type of heaters; “separating” the advantages of each individual type of equipment; ensuring that, in a fairly voluminous article, there was a minimum of empty talk; preventing the excess of identical keys like “economical heaters” and “the most efficient heaters”; making the text “readable”, useful, and interesting for customers of an online store.
How I solved them: went to the official sites of equipment manufacturers and got acquainted with the advantages/features of devices, studied all the reviews and top articles on a particular model of heaters found on the Internet, combined key requests in one so that the article does not look like a bunch of keys, “diluted” the text with clear, bright, and attractive images of the products presented.
As a result, the article was accepted by the customer without any remarks.
Step 5. Call to comments
I will consider that an expert text has already been written, and the only thing left to do is post it. Here it is important that the page has a block with comments. Your site should provide an opportunity to leave opinions, advice, recommendations, ideas, and wishes of readers.
Providing the opportunity to automatically login for registered Facebook or Twitter users can be very convenient, as well as share-icons for various social networks to promote the article may also be included; adding comments by filling in a mini-form on the site (name, e-mail address).
Comments can supplement your expert article with opinions, valuable comments, feedback on the use of the product, etc. If possible, it is important to answer readers’ questions/comments and interact with them. That’s how you can attract and retain users on the page, helping your site “climb” to the Top.
In the end, I would like to remind you once again that the answer to the question: “How to write an expert article correctly” consists of 5 components:
- Benefits. We help to solve issues of a client with the help of a written text.
- Uniqueness. We supplement the article with proven facts and expert opinions/quotes.
- Simplicity. The text should be understandable even to non-specialists in the given sphere (if it is not a highly technical description of a device).
- Style. We fill our article with unique images/photos, tables, and videos.
- Size. Expert articles are very detailed, so their size is 6000-10000 characters.
That’s it. The course of preparation for writing expert articles is over. Congratulations! You are now “forged” theoretically and can safely start creating expert texts. Do you want to submit your article? Have some topic ideas or tips from your personal experience? I will gladly review and answer your comments!
Have a nice day!
Author bio: Roy is a literary enthusiast, a loving father of twins, a programmer in a custom software company, editor in chief of ReclinerFAQ.com, greedy reader, and a gardener.